A Steering Group was established in November 2017 to develop, implement and oversee pilots of Basic Income in Scotland.
It is an officer group, with representation from City of Edinburgh Council, Fife Council, Glasgow City Council, North Ayrshire Council, and NHS Health Scotland.
The main aim of the group is to explore the feasibility of a Basic Income in reducing poverty in Scotland in collaboration with the Scottish Government and other stakeholders. The results of the pilots will be used to inform national social and economic policy.
The Steering Group will:
- Co-ordinate the creation of a business case for piloting basic income, in accordance with the Scottish Government timeline
- Co-ordinate funding discussions and decisions
- Co-ordinate across the four participating local authority areas
- Develop specific research questions to be tested
- Design the pilot intervention/s
- Co-ordinate or commission research and evaluation studies as required
- Develop an implementation plan
- Seek to learn from other areas and co-ordinate and share learning opportunities
- Co-ordinate reporting to the Scottish Government, local authorities, wider stakeholders and the public